From Our Director: A Consultant Profile
- have completed a Nationally certified speaking center theory and practice training program.
- are peer tutors who do consultations plus develop and/or facilitate workshops.
- are students who work under the professional credentials and supervision of the speaking center directors.
- have completed CST 390, the three credit academic study attached to our hands-on staff training that focuses on peer-to-peer tutoring as well as the development and facilitation of workshops.
- are students first.
- maintain a 3.0 overall GPA or higher.
- represent a wide variety of undergraduate majors and minors across the curriculum.
- are amazing listeners! Listening (consultations) is what they spend nearly all of their speaking center time doing.
- have strong interpersonal communication skills and a genuine passion for helping others.
- love the feeling of having made a difference after working with and meeting the needs of speakers.
- have more knowledge about public speaking, more experience in peer-to-peer interpersonal communication, and more resources available to them in oral communication than most other UNCG students.
- are a community of practice.
- need to practice a speech just as much as everyone else and they always practice their orientation speech or workshop before they come to your class.
- do not present flawless speeches as they are not professional speakers.
- are personally invested in their own process of becoming more confident and competent oral communicators.
- work 5-10 hours a week for us.
- on average, offer just two speaking center orientation speeches or workshops each semester.
- understand that practice is part of the process.
- are learning new things from their experiences with speakers everyday!
- as alumni have gone on to serve with organizations such as Americorps, advanced their studies in areas that include law, communication studies, business, and counseling or have gone directly to successful careers in teaching, banking, information technology, training, sales, graphic design, case work (for Congressman Brad Miller), entrepreneurship, nursing, personal training, management, public relations, nonprofits, development, and many other fields.
- are a pleasure to work with and it is an honor for our assistant director and me to serve as faculty mentors to them.
Want to Become a Speaking Center Consultant?
Want to be a Speaking Center Graduate Assistant?