- E-Reserve Material
- We have compiled resources to help the UNCG community with their oral communication needs. The chapter titles should guide you in your choice.
- Tip Sheets
- These .pdf files contain many helpful tips on a variety of topics.
For Blackboard and other learning needs you can obtain a short cut to each of our tip sheets by following these steps:
- Select a tip sheet from the list
- Put your cursor on the name of the selected tip sheet
- Right click your mouse on the name of the tip sheet
- Select copy link/copy short cut
- Paste that tip sheet’s hyperlink into any program
- Avoiding Prezilepsy
- Prezi’s zoom capabilities can create a sense of motion sickness. This Prezi discusses strategies that reduce this sickness—which I call “Prezilepsy.” ~Shawn Apolsel
- Prezi Design Strategies
- Can we apply concepts used in video production to Prezi design? Let’s find out! In this Prezi I pull terms from Bruce Block’s book _The Visual Story: Seeing the Structure of Film, TV, and New Media_. Let me know what you think. ~ Shawn Apostel
- Controlling Speech Anxiety
- If you get nervous while preparing a public speech, you are not alone. Studies indicate about 80 percent of us feel that way. This presentation will offer techniques to minimize the side effects and even utilize your anxiety to the benefit of your speech. ~ Shawn Apostel
- 5 Elements of Public Speaking
- This video presentation is intended to be a sample speech that can be used to practice giving feedback or evaluating.
- FFL Video Modules
- This video series, developed by UNCG’s Foundations for Learning program, guides speakers through the basics of public speaking for individual and group presentations.
- The Public Speaking Project’s free access textbook
- A free and thorough textbook that explores all the skills required in public speaking.
- The Public Speaking Project’s learning modules
- Interactive learning modules designed to increase your knowledge about public speaking.
- PowerPoint: Online Tutorial
- This interactive tutorial focuses on the preparation and delivery of effective PowerPoint presentations. It features design and delivery guidelines, along with tips and recommended resources.
- Oral Citations by docroyboy
- A communication student demonstrates how to (and how not to) cite research in a speech.
- Informative Speech Topics for Dummies by docroyboy
- Crash test dummies consider religion as a speech topic.
- Group Contract
- Use these files to help create a contract that will keep your group on track.
- A public speaking tip on enunciation from U Penn’s CWiC program
- Learning English – Pronunciation tips
- Good pronunciation is very important for good spoken communication. However you do not have to speak like a native English speaker to have good pronunciation.
- Merriam-Webster OnLine
- Merriam-Webster OnLine offers dictionary definitions as well as pronunciation assistance. After you enter a word in the Merriam-Webster OnLine search box you can click on the symbol to listen to the proper pronunciation of that word. This feature does require speakers or headphones.
- Public Speaking Anxiety Workshop
- 2012 University Speaking Center Brochure
- .pdf for the 2012 University Speaking Center Brochure
- Web Links
- These web sites contain various information regarding Communication.
Especially for Faculty
Especially for Community
- SPEAKING FOR a CHANGE!
- Our continuing partnerships in the Greensboro community have resulted in ongoing public speaking workshops, coaching, and other support. The documents posted here continue to be used by those looking to speak out for change in their community.